Pages

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Fashion Feminism 1, “Good Girl” Insecurities 0


This is an old story about my adventures in learning how to dress and feel like a grown woman and not a perpetual child, not really related to the topic of this blog: dyslexia. And I wanted to share it.

I wore my lacy little crop top out today- a tee shirt that is literally just woven lace and nothing else, thus it’s see-through- because it’s 99° out here. No way am I wearing an actual shirt. But I struggle with feeling comfortable in my top not only for body image reasons, but for etiquette reasons as well. I feel cute, but at the same time I worry that older members of the community will be offended by the fact that you can see my skin and my black bandeau, it’s all on display. 



So I’m leaving my home to go see my Taita with some lemonade (because again, it is damn hot, and I wanna make little ice-cube lemonade pop in my mouth and I'm from Batroun) when I arrived my Taita a woman in her 60’s approaches and touches me on the shoulder. Did I drop something? Is my skirt up in the back? Is she going to scold me for showing my waist and letting my bra straps go uncovered?

And she smiles this big smile at me and says “Dear, that shirt is so cute!”

"Thank you!" I’m so relieved, "It was only five dollars, I think!"

"Well it’s lovely," she says, "don’t tell anyone that price! Pretend it cost more than it did!"

We talk and laugh. “Well,” I say, “It’s just too hot to wear anything more.”

"We should all walk around in bikinis," she says.

Made my damn day. :)

This is not my Taita just a pic like that

No comments:

Post a Comment